Filing a Civil Rights Complaint

File a Complaint with the Barnstable County Human Rights Advisory Commission 

How to file a complaint with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD)

How to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

Disabled Persons Protection Commission

If you are being abused or neglected, or suspect that a person with a disability is being abused or neglected, you can call the Hotline at the Disabled Persons Protection Commission. The toll free number is 1-800-426-9009 or 1-888-822-0350 TTY or click on the below.

To file a complaint with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development

People who believe they have experienced discrimination in housing may file a complaint by contacting HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity at (800) 669-9777 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (Relay). Housing discrimination complaints may also be filed by going to

To file a complaint with US Department of Health and Human Services 

If you believe that you have been discriminated against because of your race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, or religion in programs or activities that HHS directly operates or to which HHS provides federal financial assistance, you may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR). You may also file a complaint if you believe that you have been discriminated against because of your disability by a State or local government health care or social services agency. You may file a complaint for yourself or for someone else.

To file a complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office

If you believe a company, business, organization has violated your rights, you can file a civil rights complaint with the Civil Rights Division of the Attorney General’s Office.

To file a Complaint with the US Department of Justice.  Discrimination or Complaint against a DOJ employee or DOJ Funded Organization

The Civil Rights Division enforces federal laws that protect people from unlawful discrimination. These laws apply in many settings. These include work, school, housing, voting, stores and businesses, public spaces, public benefits, government services and more.

These laws protect people from discrimination based on many factors, including race/color, national origin, language, sex, disability, religion, immigration & citizenship status, family status, age, service member status, and genetic information.

You can also use this website to report human trafficking, law enforcement misconduct, and hate crimes.  If you or someone else has experienced discrimination, contact us by visiting the Civil Rights Reporting Portal.

To file a complaint with the U.S. Office of Justice

OCR investigates complaints from individuals or groups who believe that they have experienced discrimination from an agency that receives funding from the Justice Department. These include the Office of Justice Programs and its components as well as the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services and the Office on Violence Against Women. OCR can also investigate agencies that receive Justice Department funding from state and local government agencies.

To file a complaint of police misconduct, contact the Department of Justice (DOJ).

To file a civil rights complaint against law enforcement (not just police) contact the FBI.